What Is Project Based Learning?
At New Urban High School, we strive to transform teaching from "teachers telling" to "students doing." Through Project Based Learning, we design opportunities where student interest and academic standards meet. These projects are:
- Engaging learning experiences that involve students in complex, real world projects through which they develop and apply skills and knowledge.
- Learning that requires students to draw from many information sources and disciplines in order to solve problems.
- Authentic experiences where students learn to work collaboratively with peers and teachers, managing their own learning, time, and resources.
- Learning in which goals and standards are identified, but the process of demonstrating those standards, and meeting those goals are driven by student choice.
- Learning that taps into student interests, culture, and passions, individual learning goals and styles.